PDA Trade Fairs
April 16, 2019
Bramalea City Centre
What was the client asking from you when they first called you?
Our client, PDA Trade Fairs was looking for more than just an audio visual provider, they wanted a complete “turn-key package” from a single vendor. Whether it was digital, virtual or hard set – we as the selected vendor had to ensure it was completed correctly.
From the start, this exhibit had to be discussed around the clock, and mostly via email (company head office located in the Middle East). Later, we met at remote locations around the world to finalize details and ensure that on site execution would be efficient and timely. After lots of late nights and early mornings, Pure AV came out as the perfect AV provider for the project.
What is some background information on the client and the field they work in?
PDA Trade Fairs Pvt Ltd organises several sector specific b2b trade fairs, events, conferences, roadshows and business forums in India and Overseas. It has also been serving select sectors by bridging the supply and demand side via custom published business directories. In step with the current digital era, PDA Trade Fairs also offers immersive multimedia ‘Experium’ for many customers around the globe.
How large was the audience?
The exhibition started on April 16, 2019 and ran for 2 months at the Bramalea City Centre in Brampton, ON Canada. With the location conveniently located close to major highways, the project has attracted audience of roughly 50,000 varying from school crowd to community partners and of course general public.
What was the client’s intent from this show?
The ‘IN5 Experium: The Golden Temple’, also known as Harmandar Sahib, is an immersive virtual media experience of the famous Golden Temple, located in Amritsar, India. This project combines the use of multimedia technology to educate and motivate people about Sikh history and their philosophies. The virtual designing has been set-up to recreate the essence and (virtual) presence of the Golden Temple
How did you come up with recommendations for the services they need?
PDA Trade Fairs, worked on initial renderings and layouts for the exhibit. Once that was completed, Pure AV was brought onboard to handle all the technological (and some hard-set) aspects of the exhibit. We installed all AV projection gear, interactive displays (TVs and Projectors), as well as, Dataton Watchout and Resolume media servers for content playback. Pure AV also handled all the networking infrastructure to ensure we could monitor the performance of the gear. This also allowed our team to control and monitor equipment performance from a single location.
Quick summary of how you put together the show at the venue/space given.
Project renderings were finalized on February 28th , at that time we ensured that all concept design would be fulfilled with our gear. Audio Visual Installation began on March 24th. The whole labour portion of the setup took roughly three weeks.
Resolume and Dataton WATCHOUT media servers were used to create unique productions elements that maximized the presence of 42 projectors in a single space. We utilized the software to warp projection onto a wooden CNC cut out of the Golden temple; then we blended 16 x Panasonic Projectors around the room; and lastly our team dove into advanced settings to corner-correct 6 x Panasonic projectors hung in the ceiling pointing directly onto the floor.
For the floor projection, we also used Watchout and 6 x Panasonic projectors along with custom written software that triggered motion sensors and created “a ripple effect” on the floor. This would be generated for every patron that walked by. To create further interactivity, IR sensors triggered movement of “virtual fish” that would swim towards the “ripples” and “hover” around people’s feet.
Did you run into any complications/ how did you solve them?
The most challenging factor was the venue, especially since it had previously served as a retail store. We had to overcome projection distance limitations, due to building heights and support columns. Moreover, our team had to be very thorough with projection lens calculations and positioning of the units. Ideally, an extra 2ft was necessary to achieve the projection size we needed. However, with the help of Watchout Servers, we placed these on angles and used advanced corner correct features to get a superb result.
On the mapping side of things, limited projection distances also resulted in smaller blend spaces (sometimes as low as 10%). Yet, our team worked hard to mount the projectors above the rafters and secure them firmly on unistrut. We had to ensure that there would be zero movement and that the blend would remain perfect for two months, especially with minimal blend space.
Was the audience engaged/ how did they interact?
Communication between the touch sensor projectors and touchscreen TVs was one of the main features of the exhibit. To facilitate the interactivity, Pure AV combined with Splat and integrated all the necessary touch sensors around the venue. This is much better represented in video form – CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE
Client testimonial or comment on how the show was executed.
“The audience was in awe of the whole ‘IN5 Experium’. They could experience the virtual becoming a reality. “
- 4 x JBL SRX 712 Speaker (Media Room)
- 4 x JBL SRX 712 Speaker Bracket
- 2 x JBL VRX 918S Subwoofer (Media Room)
- 1 x dbx Driverack 260
- 1 x Lab Gruppen C 88:4 Amp 4x2200W/4ohm
- 1 x Soundcraft EPM 8 Mixer
- 1 x Shure GLX D Single Wireless Microphone Kit
- 2 x QSC AD-S82 Loudspeaker w/Yoke
- 1 x Lab Gruppen IPD 2400 DSP Amplifier
- 2 x Rapco Audio Interface w/Ground
- 1 x Asus Router
- 1 x Nortel Networks 48-Port POE Switch
- 2 x Netgear 16-Port Gigabit POE Switch
- 2 x D-Link 16 Port Gigabit Switch
- 8 x TP Link 5 Port Gigabit Switch
- 2 x 65″ Viewsonic 4K LED Touchscreen
- 3 x Christie LWU720i-D Projector
- 3 x Christie LWU720i SD 1.0/HD 0.8 Lens
- 6 x Epson Brightlink 1460Ui Interactive Projector
- 6 x Epson Brightlink Pro Interactive Sensor Kit
- 4 x Epson PowerLite Pro Z8000 Projector
- 2 x Z Series SD 1.63-2.65/HD 1.71-2.78 Lens
- 2 x Z Series SD 0.72/HD 0.77 Lens
- 22 x Panasonic PT-RZ770 7.2K Laser Projector
- 16 x Panasonic RZ SD 0.8-1.0:1/HD 0.8-1.0:1 Lens
- 6 x Panasonic RZ SD 0.62-0.83:1/HD 0.60-0.80:1 Lens
- 4 x Christie DWU635-GS 6.7K Laser Projector
- 4 x DW Series SD 0.79-1.0:1/HD 0.75-0.95:1 Lens
- 3 x Brightsign HD Media Player
- 1 x Emerson Liebert GXT3 UPS
- 1 x APC Smart 3000XL UPS
- 34 x 1-5/8” – 1″ Unistrut
- 100 x 3/8″ Nut w/ Spring for 1-5/8″ Unistrut
- 5 x 3/8 – 120” Threaded Rod
- 100 x 2″ – Fender Washer
- 49 x 3/8 – 6” Zinc Bolt
- 100 x 3/8 – 1-1/2” Zinc Bolt
- 200 x 3/8 – Lock Washer
- 50 x 3/8 – Nylon Lock Nut
- 5 x Dataton Watchout Six Output Dongle
- 2 x Resolume 6 Arena
- 5 x 19″ i7, Asus, 32GB, NVIDIA GTX1080 Server
- 2 x 19″ i7, Asus, 16GB, Quadro4000 Server
- 5 x 19″ i7, Asus, M.2, 32GB, AMD WX9100 Server
- 1 x Lenovo Tiny Thinkstation
- 20 x Raspberry Pi 3B+
- 20 x Raspberry Pi POE Hat
- 20 x Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera
- 8 x USB 2.0 over CAT6 4-Port Extender