April 28, 2018
Powerade Centre, Mississauga, ON
What was the client asking from you when they first called you?
The initial request came through email with an RFP that had the overall needs clearly outlined in the file. Given the complexity and nature of the event, the inquiry was handed off to the right project manager with experience in concert audio visual production. At Pure AV we have a team of project managers who specialize in all types of events; so connecting every client with the right one makes the event planning process a breeze.
What is some background information on the client and the field they work in?
Immanuel Vasanth Dinakaran, better known as D. Imman, is an Indian film composer and singer, predominantly working in the Tamil film industry. His first film as music director was Whistle in 2002. Since then he has composed music for 100s of films. Needless to say his popularity is quite immense!
How large was the audience?
As this was a ticketed event, a sold out crowd of 5000 people attended the concert at the Powerade Centre. The audience ranged from 5 years old to late 80s. There was also a VIP area for the special invitees that were treated to premier seating.
What was the client’s intent from this show?
The intent was simple – put on a show that the audience will remember for a long time. Given that the artist came from abroad, attendees got a rare chance to witness his perform live in Canada; it had to be special. The local promotional company and the artist himself, both, worked hand in hand with our team to put together a stage set that worked perfectly for this arena. We considered everything, from viewing angles to audio coverage and lighting designs, to ensure that the crowd experience is top notch. Ultimately, by providing a visual experience that mesmerized guests Pure AV’s task was surely delivered.
How did you come up with recommendations for the services they needed?
Any mid-size concert performance needs to entertain and engage the audience. It is important to create a design that excites, but does not overwhelm. The right balance of LED panels, moving heads, and some special effects can do just that. Too much of one thing can take away attention from the artist and may not flow well with the performance.
Quick summary of how you put together the show at the venue/space given.
The intricate design of LED strips upstage left and upstage right was quite a challenge. In scenarios such as this, we look to get as much work done at our shop as possible. Given that the Powerade Centre is close to the Pure AV head office, our staff focused a lot on pre-rigging the custom stage set. A lot of the horizontal LED strips were completed at our warehouse and delivered to site ready to be rigged. The pipes for lighting fixtures in between the panels were also put in place so the fixtures could be hung in no time. This undoubtedly saved the client labour costs and ensured that the show was ready on time and within the budget.
Did you run into any complications/ how did you solve them?
Big productions do not come without challenges. As mentioned earlier, anytime you incorporate custom built horizontal LEDs into a show, it creates a wide range of setup difficulties. More often, securing custom designed horizontal LED formations above each other can result in lots of rigging and slow build times. This is because everything has to be firmly secured; and it has to look perfectly leveled. However, In-shop preparation allowed our team to work through the challenges and get it done in a very fast manner.
Given that this is a cultural show, sometimes it can be challenging to understand the flow and emotion of the show. This specifically applies to lighting and video cues. To counteract this challenge, our technicians listened to the artist’s work, for hours, beforehand to learn the intricacies of D.Imman’s music. This approach significantly helped our technicians portray the performer’s emotions through video and lighting.
Was the audience engaged/ how did they interact?
If there is one thing we learned from putting on concerts – audience reactions never lie. Those in attendance came to see one of their favourite artist, and in these instances you will always receive the most natural and honest crowd feedback. If the AV production is in sync with the performer, the reactions of sheer joy and eventual gratitude will be evident. This was certainly the case at the Powerade Centre on April 28th, 2018
- 1 x Digico SD10 Digital Mixing Console
- 1 x Digico D2 Stage Rack (48in/16out)
- 2 x 48ch Rack Mount Input Splay w/4 x Veam 12ch
- 2 x Digico SD12 Digital Mixing Console
- 1 x Digico DigiGridMGB Coaxial MADI Interface
- 16 x JBL Vertec 4888 Line Array
- 12 x JBL Vertec 4887 Line Array
- 4 x JBL SRX 725 Speakers
- 12 x JBL SRX 728 Subwoofer
- 16 x JBL SRX 712 Speaker
- 4 x Crown iTech 9000HD
- 8 x Crown XTI 6002
- 6 x Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
- 4 x Lab Gruppen PLM10000Q
- 1 x Q-SYS Core 110f DSP
- 14 x Shure ULX D SM58/B58 Handheld
- 14 x Shure ULX D – Bodypack
- 4 x Shure UA844 Distribution System
- 180 x Acti LED 4mm-SMD Video Panel
- 3 x Novastar Pro HD Processor
- 2 x Christie Roadster HD14K-M Projector
- 2 x 9’x16′ AV Stumpfl Fast Fold Screen
- 1 x Roland V800 HD Mixer/Switcher
- 3 x Coolux Pandora’s Box Player Pro Dongle
- 1 x Coolux Pandora’s Box Manager Lt Dongle
- 1 x Atomos Shogun
- 1 x Nortel Networks Baystack 5520 48T PWT
- 18 x Tour Rig 1T Motor
- 4 x Tour Rig 8CH Motor Controller
- 16 x 16” Box – 8′ – Black
- 4 x 16” Box – 3′ – Black
- 16 x 12” Box – 8′ – Black
- 4 x 12” Box – 4′ – Black
- 2 x 12” Box – 2′ – Black
- 8 x 12” Box – 6 Way Corner Block – Black
- 20 x Martin MAC Aura LED Wash
- 12 x Martin MAC Aura XB LED Wash
- 28 x Martin RUSH MH3 Beam
- 8 x Martin MAC 575 Profile
- 16 x Elation CuePix WW2 Blinder
- 24 x Microh LED Slim 12 QUAD Parcan
- 2 x Lycian M2 2.5K EB Followspot(240v)
- 6 x Chauvet Data Stream 4 DMX Opto
- 4 x Sparkular BT02 Sparkler Unit
- 2 x Ultratec Radiance Hazer
- 4 x Ultratec IceJet2
- 1 x Chamsys Magic Q PC Wing
- 33 x 4’x8′ Stage Deck – Black
- 2 x 4’x4′ Stage Deck – Black
- 132 x 16″ Stage Leg