July 26-29, 2017
Aberdeen Pavilion, Ottawa/Harley-Davidson Ottawa
What was the client asking from you when they first called you?
The goal was to create an event that would properly represent the Harley brand while making sure that we did not “go overboard” with certain production elements. Reason being; many of the HOG members and customers do not see value in special effects and extravagant visuals. Instead, the focus had to remain on the bikes, the legacy and the riders. We wanted to stay true to the brand’s orange colour, warm white spotlights and “rock and roll” style audio.
How large was the audience?
Given that this event took place in 3 different locations, the number of guests drastically varied from place to place. At the Harley Davidson head office registration area we had anywhere between 200 and 300 guests. A few of the smaller VIP events got in people between 400 and 500. The larger events at Aberdeen brought in as many as 2000 people.
What was the client’s intent from this show?
From the start, the goal was to thank the HOG members for many years of brand loyalty. The event was to cater to their passion for riding and combine it with a celebration over multiple nights. We provided audio visual support for the registration, parade, DJ performances, live bands and speeches.
How did you come up with recommendations for the services they need?
In this instance, we worked with the client to augment an RFP that they sent to us at the beginning of our communication. We used it as a starting benchmark, however, our staff made suggestions and changes based on the venues and crowd sizes. We feel that it is important for the client to not only receive a quoted RFP from Pure AV’s sales team, but also to understand the changes we are proposing after consulting with our lead technicians.
Quick summary of how you put together the show at the venue/space given.
At Aberdeen Pavilion our toughest challenge was to create enough lighting in the venue without obstructing any of the bikes, food stations, stage performances etc. As a result, we had to rig two 100’ sections of 16” truss. As for the stage, we constructed multiple structures to support 3 separate LED walls, lighting and audio line array. At the Harley-Davidson headquarters we brought in an SL260 Stage Liner. Given that the event was taking place outdoors, in the back parking lot, we had to create a “performance stage” from scratch. Without a doubt, this was the most appealing and cost effective solution for the client. To complete the look, we dressed up the stage with multiple banners and a beautiful lighting rig.
Did you run into any complications/ how did you solve them?
We did not experience any major technical difficulties. However, logistically, it required a lot of preparation to have 3 massive work sites going at the same time, all while keeping up communication with the client and the riders. We not only had to make sure every venue was ready for their arrival, but also know when they are leaving so we can “flip” each location for the next activity. There were a lot of moving parts that required our techs to focus on the organization of them and so did the AV components.
Was the audience engaged/ how did they interact?
The ultimate goal was definitely achieved by leaving the audience with a positive brand experience and making their customers feel appreciated for their loyal support. The multiple events gave the audience an opportunity to interact and admire the product they are so passionate about and to enjoy performances with a proper production that appeals most to this demographic.
- 12 x JBL Vertec 4887 Line Array
- 14 x JBL SRX 712 Speaker
- 6 x JBL SRX 728 Subwoofer
- 6 x Crown iTech 9000HD
- 8 x Crown XTI 6002
- 1 x Behringer X32 Mixer
- 1 x Midas DL16 Stagebox
- 1 x Soundcraft EPM8 Mixer
- 2 x Sennheiser MEG 14-40 Gooseneck
- 4 x Shure ULX D SM58 Handheld
- 4 x Shure ULX D – Bodypack
- 2 x Shure Lapel w/Tie Clip
- 2 x Line 6 Countryman E6 Double Headset
- 1 x Shure UA844 Distribution System
- 1 x Pioneer DJM900 Nexus
- 2 x Technics 1200 Turntable
- 1 x Rapco Horizon LTIGLBLOX AI
- 12 x 32′ – 1 Ton Chain
- 20 x 16 Box – 8′ – Black
- 10 x 16 Box – 3′ – Black
- 20 x 12 Box – 8′ – Silver
- 4 x 12 Box – 6′ – Silver
- 6 x 12 Box – 4′ – Silver
- 6 x 12 Box – 6 Way Corner Block – Silver
- 12 x 12 Box – 8′ – Black
- 4 x 12 Box – 6′ – Black
- 6 x 12 Box – 4′ – Black
- 8 x 12 Box – 6 Way Corner Block – Black
- 2 x 7/8″ Crosby Shackle
- 50 x 5/8″ Crosby Shackle
- 50 x 3/8″ Crosby Shackle
- 22 x 10′ 3/8 Steel
- 15 x 5′ 3/8 Steel
- 24 x 8′ Gacflex – Black
- 24 x 6′ Gacflex – Black
- 130 x Acti LED 4mm-SMD
- 1 x Novastar Pro HD Processor
- 2 x NovaStar MCTRL 660 Processor
- 2 x 90” Sharp LED TV
- 2 x 60” Sharp LED TV
- 2 x 43″ Vizio LED TV
- 2 x 6’ Peerless TV Stand – Mobile
- 4 x 8′ TV Stand – Black
- 1 x Roland V800 HD Mixer/Switcher
- 1 x 22″ LG LCD TV w/Remote and Table Stand
- 1 x Media Server/Computer
- Theatrixx xVision HDMI to SDI Converter
- Theatrixx xVision SDI to HDMI Converter
- 1 x Stage Line SL260
- 28 x 4’ x 8’ Stage Deck – Black
- 10 x 3’ to 5’ X Frame
- 4 x 1’ to 2’ X Frame
- 1 x Aluminum Stair
- 8 x Martin MAC 250 Profile
- 16 x Martin Rush MH3 Beam
- 8 x Chauvet Rogue R2 LED Wash
- 12 x Martin MAC Aura LED Wash
- 16 x Elation Versabar 270 LED
- 24 x Microh LED Quad 12
- 26 x Chauvet LED FreedomPar
- 1 x Martin M1 Console
- 16 x Chauvet Ovation E-160WW Leko
- 12 x ETC Source4 Parcan
- 2 x Ultratech Radiance Hazer
- 2 x Chauvet DataStream 4 DMX Opto
Pipe and Drape
- 12 x 13’x16′ Velour Drape – Black
- 4 x 15’x20′ Velour Drape – Black
- 20 x 8′-20′ Upright
- 16 x 8′-14′ Crossbar
- 20 x 18″x18″ 3/8 Drape Base w/Spigot
- 1 x Acrylic Presentation Podium